Video Marketing Funnel – 3 Steps to Get Started

By April 23, 2019 August 2nd, 2019 Resources
video marketing funnel

Most brands and companies are aware of the lucrative effect video can have in their digital marketing strategy. We’ve found that different types of video content is effective at every stage of the video marketing funnel.

Sadly, some marketers only create viral, explainer or other top-of-the-funnel videos.  Without a clear strategy to fill the video marketing funnel, companies often spend too much on both the production and media buying side.

Below are a few tips to begin thinking about your video marketing funnel and how take leads through their entire customer journey.

Design Your Video Marketing Funnel

Though every video agency has different names for it, the video marketing funnel consists of 3 stages. Awareness, Consideration, and Decision.

video marketing funnel

Your video marketing funnel may be longer or more complicated. That’s up to you and the way you run your business.

As you design your video marketing funnel make sure it at least hits all three stages and incorporates the following considerations:

  1. Awareness: how your future customers discover you
  2. Consideration: how your future customers compare their options
  3. Decision: how your future customers buy your product or service

Get Inside your Customer’s Head

This step relies on a firm understanding of your audience, their values and how to communicate to them. Before building your video marketing funnel you need to research your target audience and gain insights into their state of mind at each stage of their customer journey.

A few things to ask yourself:

  • What are our customers thinking about us and your product or service offerings?
  • What information do they need to become a customer?
  • What’s are their pain points and what’s stopping them from buying from you?

Find the Right Distribution Channel(s) For Your Audience

Where your future customers hear your message is just as important as what your message is.  For each stage of your video marketing funnel, think about how to distribute your video content and how the message of that content ties back with their stage of the funnel.

Top of the funnel (awareness): videos in organic search, paid ads and social media.

Middle of the funnel (consideration): share video and other content through email, on your website and specialty ads that give more targeted information about your product or service.

Bottom of the funnel (decision): testimonials, FAQ and social proof videos on your site, through email and re-targeted ads on social networks

However your audience wants to be reached, make sure you’re using the right channels for the right stage of the funnel.

Plan and Make Your Videos

Now it’s time to plan and make the video you’ll use at every stage of your video marketing funnel. Below are few video ideas for every stage of the customer journey.

Awareness or Top of Funnel Videos:

  • Viral
  • Fun brand videos
  • Mass appeal commercials or online ads
  • Searchable How-to content
  • Influencer content

Consideration or Middle of the Funnel Videos:

  • Detailed product demos
  • Video case studies
  • Thought leadership interviews

Decision or Bottom of the Funnel Content:

  • Client testimonials
  • Social Proof videos
  • FAQ videos
  • Instructional videos

Conclusion

Now that you have a broader picture of what you need to fill out your video marketing funnel you are probably wondering how much of each video to make.  

You’ll only need about 15% – 20% of your video content during the awareness stages and save the remaining 80% – 85% for the consideration and decision stages.

Building your own video marketing funnel is an engaging way to nurture leads into customers – at their own pace. It’s your job to create the content journey!

Last piece of advice, track and measure your content in the various stages of the funnel.  It will be a sure-fire way to make sure you know what’s working and what’s not and to connect your video marketing efforts to ROI.

Need Help With Video?

Production M is here to help. Answer a few questions about the project, your business, and most importantly your goals. Our producers will quickly look at all the information, create a custom quote and set up a call to discuss timeline, pricing, and execution. Click the button below to get started. 


productionm

Author productionm

More posts by productionm

Leave a Reply